Ready. Steady. Cook!
This recipe has been made famous all over the internet, and now is your chance to try it at home. Follow this easy recipe to have the best tacos of your life!
- Shallow fry all sauce ingredients in a pre heated pan until softened.
- Transfer into a blender and blend until a smooth sauce emerges. Remember if using a blender you should let cool before blending. Do not blend hot ingredients.
- Set sauce to the side and seperate ribs into single ribs.
- Place meat into a pot or pressure cooker.
- Strain sauce over the top of the meat, you may need to use water to help strain the sauce through. If the meat is not covered with sauce add more water.
- Simmer the meat in a pot for about 2 hours with the lid on. If using a pressure cooker you will only need to cook for 40 minutes.
- Once meat is done take it out of the liquid and roughly chop. It should be soft enough that it falls apart/chops very easily.
- Use a ladle to skim as much of the oil/fat off the top of the broth left in the pot or pressure cooker and place into a bowl. Set aside.
- Warm tortillas as per packet instructions.
- Warm a pan and ladle a tbsp of this oil/fat onto the pan.
- Lay a warmed tortilla in the pan and fill half with meat and cheese.
- Fold the top over and let grill until cheese is melted and tortilla is crispy.
- Serve with fresh chopped onion, fresh chopped coriander, fresh lime juice and a dipping bowl or cup filled with left over broth from the pot/pressure cooker.
- Dip into the broth and enjoy!
1.5kg beef ribs
1kg Gravy beef (ask your butcher to dice into big chunks)
6 fresh tomatoes roughly chopped
1 whole onion chopped
3-4 cloves of garlic peeled only
1 tsp cumin
4 bay leaves
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp whole peppercorns
1/2 cinnamon stick
2 tbsp salt
1/4 cup of white vinegar
2 ancho chillies seeded and stem off
6-8 guajillo chillies de seeded (or guajillo paste)
3 tbsp oil for frying
2 cups of water
1 cup of coriander chopped
1 cup of chopped onion
Cheese for topping. Amounts can vary according to your taste preferences.
Tip: Chillies used in this recipe are mild. This recipe is best to prepare the day before and assemble tacos the next day.