Ready. Steady. Cook!
Can be enjoyed with a corn or flour tortilla. Nutritious light and quick meal
- Preheat deep fryer or pot of oil on the stove to 170°C.
- Sift flour in a medium size bowl, make a well in the centre, slowly add beer (or soda water) while whisking to form a smooth batter, stir in salt and pepper to taste. Set aside in the fridge.
- Slice fish fillets into 20 even strips (2 per taco or 2 1/2 in a flour tortilla) set aside in the fridge.
- Combine shredded cabbage, juice of 2 limes and olive oil, let sit for 10 mins or until cabbage is starting to soften.
- Individually coat each piece of fish just before placing in preheated oil. Fry for 4-5 mins or until golden brown. Continue with remaining fish, drain off excess oil onto paper towel.
- Prepare the Baja sauce by mixing your favourite hot(or mild) sauce with sour cream and milk
- Heat tortillas as per packet instructions.
- Top each tortilla with cabbage slaw, fish, drizzle with the baja sauce and garnish with spring onions.
- Serve with lime wedges.
1 pkt Diego’s GoMex corn tortillas or Diego’s GoWell classic wraps
2 cups of oil for deep frying
500g fresh snapper fillets (or any light white fish)
375ml chilled light beer (soda water if you prefer)
225g self raising flour
1 tbsp of smoked paprika
Salt & pepper to taste
1/4 of cabbage - shredded
1/2 cup of spring onions sliced
4 limes, 2 juiced and 2 halved
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tbsp of your favourite hot sauce (or mild)
1 1/2 cup of sour cream
1 1/2 tbsp of milk
Tip: This recipe is best made just before serving to keep all ingredients fresh and textured. For a vegetarian option switch the fish for strips of firm tofu
This recipe is best made just before serving to keep all ingredients fresh and textured.