Ready. Steady. Cook!
- Shred the chicken.
- Add chicken to a pot and pour in the salsa.
- Simmer for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes turn the heat off and leave the lid on.
- While chicken is simmering add masa flour to a bowl.
- Add the lard to your flour and use your hands to mix together.
- Pour in the pre prepared stock and mix again until the dough is smooth and soft.
- Spread some of the dough onto your corn husk (or baking paper.)
- Spread your chicken and salsa mix into the middle of the dough.
- Wrap up your corn husk (or baking paper) by folding the bottoms pieces in, then the sides and finally the top.
- Tie together with cooking twine.
- Place tamales into a pot with a steaming rack and water. The tamales should not be touching the water.
- Place a lid on the pot and let them steam in this pot with simmering water for 90min
- Remove the tamales from the pot and carefully remove the husks right before eating.
- Eat and enjoy! Don’t forget to post a photo of your creation and tag Diego’s!
8 corn husks or 8 pieces of 25cm by 15cm of baking paper (This will be used to cook the tamale in)
2 cups of masa flour
1 1/2 cup of stock
150g of lard
1 tsp of Mexican spice blend
1 tsp of salt
1 tsp of pepper
1/2 a roast chicken (shredded)
250ml of salsa (red or green smooth salsa)
Tip: place a tea towel under the tamales while in the pot. This will prevent them from becoming soggy. Place a coin in the water in the pot. When the water is simmering the coin will rattle. When you do not hear the coin rattling you will know that the pot is out of water.