Ready. Steady. Cook!
A traditional Mexican dish also known as chilli rellenos (ray-gen-os).
- Grill Chillies on an open flame until the skin is black and peeling. Immediately after grilling, place into a tight container to steam.
- While the chillies are steaming, prepare the fillings. Cut haloumi to fit inside the chillies and open a can of refried beans and set aside.
- Whisk 3 egg whites until they form soft peaks (save the yolks). Half way through whisking add a pinch of plain flour and salt this will help the egg whites with density.
- When egg whites have reached soft peaks add 2 yolks to the mixture and whisk through. Set aside.
- Peel off loose skin on the chillies, open on the side and clean out the seeds.
- Slightly grill halloumi (optional)
- Stuff the chillies with pieces of halloumi and refried beans.
- Set up a pan with oil to shallow fry your chillies.
- Coat chillies in plain flour, then in the pre made egg mix and finally place into the preheated pan.
- Shallow fry chillies until the egg is cooked through.
- Once cooked, place on paper towel to drain excess oil. (keep your pan available)
- Roughly chop garlic and onion and place with canned tomatoes into a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Return the sauce back to the same pan you shallow fried your chillies in.
- Slowly pour in 1 cup of stock, combine and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the chilies back into the pan and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
- Warm your tortillas as per packet instruction.
- Assemble tacos with 2 corn tortillas, mexican rice** and sour cream.
- ** Options for rice: You can buy packets of pre made Mexican rice, or you can make your own.
2 pkt of Diego’s GoMex Corn tortillas
6-8 Poblano chillies
1 can of refried beans
400g of halloumi cheese
1 cup of plain flour
1/2 of an onion
2 cans of tomatoes
3 cloves of garlic
1 cup of vegetable stock
½ cup of sour cream
Tip: Traditionally eaten with corn tortillas but can be tasty with flour too if preferred.