Ready. Steady. Cook!
A smooth and flavoursome soup topped with crunchy pork crackle and crispy tortillas. A traditional meal for many in Mexico.
- Heat ½ a cup of oil in a fry pan to a medium to high heat.
- Cut 6 tortillas into thin strips, fry till golden and drain on paper towels. Set aside.
- Cut into thin strips one of the dried chillies, then fry In the same fry pan for a minute, place to drain with the tortilla crisps.
- Blend the canned tomatoes with the 3 soaked chillies, onion and garlic
- Pour the tomato mix and the stock into a pot on medium heat and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover the pot and simmer for 10 minutes on low.
- Ladle the soup into each bowl and garnish with crispy chillies, tortilla crisps followed by avocado, fetta cheese and pork crackle.
- optional: Serve with a wedge of lime.
1 pkt GoMex Diegos white or yellow corn tortillas
800g canned tomatoes
4 large pasilla chillies, 3 soaked deveined and seeded in hot water
3 cloves of fresh garlic
½ onion roughly chopped
3 cups of chicken stock
1 cup of preferred oil
salt and pepper to taste
2 avocados cut in cubes
½ cup of fetta cheese cubed
1 pkt pork crackle to garnish (optional)
1 lime cut into wedges to serve
Tip: Pasilla are long dry chillies full of flavour very low on heat, this makes the soup unique, can be substitute for 1 dried red chilli for tomato mix and 1 for frying if desired